Keep Sydney Open has already run two successful rallies with the hopes to revive Sydney nightlife. They are now calling an urgent rally to defend the colour, fun, and vibrancy of the city before it’s destroyed. This time round, it will be held in Kings Cross and at night.
To make it worth your presence, Flight Facilities will be DJing. The Sydney duo once played some of their first gigs at Hugo’s Lounge, one of the venues which unfortunately had to shut their doors because of the lockout laws.
The NSW Government announced last December that the lockouts would be extended by half an hour, but Keep Sydney Open feels that it’s just not good enough. They believe a better solution is needed and recommends an evidence-based policy, including:
1. Developing best-practice policing strategies;
2. Investing in 24/7 public transport;
3. Implementing integrated urban planning reform;
4. Encouraging diversification of after-dark activities;
5. Establishing anti-violence education & intervention campaigns;
6. Incentivising well-run venues; and
7. Appointing a Night Mayor.
Hopefully Saturday night will see Sydneysiders unite and persuade Mike Baird that a different solution is what the city needs.